Prince Harry has vowed to ensure the makers of The Crown ‘stop’ the Netflix show before the plot can include him and his wife, according to a royal biographer. In an interview with BBC Breakfast on Monday, biographer Angela Levin – who interviewed the Duke of Sussex for her 2018 book Harry: A Biography of a Prince – said that the 35-year-old wanted to make sure the series’ narrative wouldn’t get to his life. ‘Harry, when I went to interview him in the Palace, the first thing he said to me when he shook my hand was, “Are you watching The Crown?”’ Levin shared on the programme.
‘And I hadn’t been at the time, I felt very embarrassed and I got it and he said, “I’m going to make sure I stop it before they get to me”.’
However, earlier this month The Crown‘s executive producer Suzanne Mackie stated that Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle need not worry about stopping the Netflix show.
‘To be honest, whatever the life of The Crown is after where we are now, I doubt we’ll ever go as far into the present day,’ Mackie told the BBC. ‘I think we’ll probably… we don’t travel into the present day.’
The third series of the programme centres on the Profumo affair, Labour prime minister Harold Wilson’s arrival at Downing Street, the end of Princess Margaret’s marriage to Lord Snowdon and Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall’s early romance.
It’s unknown which, if any, members of the royal family are keen viewers of the award-winning series.
Actress Vanessa Kirby – who played Princess Margaret in the first two season – previously told Harper’s Bazaar that Princess Eugenie told her friend at a party that her ‘granny watches it and really likes it’.
Meanwhile, Oscar winner Olivia Colman – who plays Queen Elizabeth II in season three and four – recently appeared on The Graham Norton Show and spoke about her discussion with Prince William about the hit programme.
‘I met Prince William at a dinner and he asked what I was doing at the moment before he quickly added, “Actually, I know what you’re doing”,’ she explained. ‘I was so excited and asked, “Have you watched it?” His answer was a firm, “No”. But he was very charming and very lovely.’
News of Prince Harry wanting to put an end to the show before it includes his life story comes days after the Queen issued a statement explaining the terms of Prince Harry and Meghan’s Markle’s recent decision to step down as ‘senior members’ of the royal family.
‘It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life,’ an excerpt of the statement, shared on the royal.uk website, reads.
On January 8, the Duke and Duchess announced that they intended to step back from the royal family and wished to change how they represent the British monarchy as ambassadors and become finally independent.
According to Buckingham Palace, the couple will no longer use their HRH titles, nor receive any public funds for royal duties.
The pair also intend to repay £2.4m of taxpayer money for the refurbishment of their Windsor base, Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home. The new arrangement will come into effect in spring this year, the palace stated.
This article originally appeared on ELLE UK.